Monday, August 21, 2006

My corners

I have little "shrines" around the apartment. They are mine to decorate and I aim to include new flea market buys, things from the past, candles, similar textures or colours. Each display may stay the same way for a day or for several months. Sometimes it is impossible to decorate the whole house according to all ones wishes but little corners seem like a suitable mouthful. Here is the top of my favorite cabinet. In the background is an old mirror. Leaning against it rotor blades (I think). Beautiful stones from the beach in shapes suitable for resting chopsticks on. A vase just recently bought which is why there are no flowers yet. A group of metal pastry bag tops. A silvercoloured candleholder. Metal letters bought this weekend cheaper than I had hoped for.

The clockhand has temporarily been separated from its clock. I like the way its fine details are mirrored.

Here a close-up of the pastry bag tops. I suppose they must be made of part tin to gain such a colour. There is something about grouping many of a kind. A calm to the repetition.

On my dining table - which is tiny - some thing usually accumulate. I liked that the same brown appeared in both vitamins and in mother nature's own fruit.

I took this picture later in the evening and thought it was interesting how different the cabinet looks - a mysterious aura about the whole thing. Now ferns have been added to the vase. It is getting to be autumn here...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this looks like it could be a photo from a magazine...beautiful! i love the grouping of objects, especially things as simply as pastry tips. putting them together the way you have makes them look so artful and a bit mysterious, like they are waiting to fulfill some arcane purpose...so lovely!